This is a super easy and fun way to get a “healthier” version of a pop tart. The best part about these is you control what goes in them! You can mix and match flavors and play with the design to make these fit any holiday or just a fun everyday treat!
Theses are my Valentines day Collagen PB&J Pop tarts!
- Home made or Store Bought Pie Dough. (If you choose homemade you can make it with your favorite recipe. You can even make these fully Vegan! Totally up to you! If you want a good standard pie dough click here)
- Home made Jam (or again you can go with store bought)
- 2 C Frozen Berries
- 1-3 Scoops Collagen Peptides
- 1-2 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 0-2 TBSP Maple Syrup, honey, or your favorite natural sweetener
- Nut butter of your Choice
- Optional add ins:
- Veggies (cauliflower and spinach are my favorite to add in)
- Greens Powder (Great option to get some added nutrients, the berries will mask the green taste)
- “Super Foods” like Maca, ashwagandha, tart cherry, turmeric, the list goes on and on!
- Added Fiber/Omegas: Flax/Chia/Hemp or even chopped nuts!
The best part about these is you can really create your own!
What my go-to is: Store bought pie dough, Homemade jam (as listed above), topped with an all natural peanut butter!
- Pre-heat the oven (as listed on packaging) I usually go 375*
- Make the Jam
- Add Frozen Berries to a small pot and heat up, once they have thawed you can add in the collagen and chia seeds. If you want it chunky, just stir until desired consistency, if you want smoother, poor into a blender or use an emulsion blender)
- Take off heat and cool to room temp. (you may not use all of the mixture but save the rest for adding in oatmeal/yogurt/topping toast/and more!
- Pull out the dough, roll it thin, and cut into desired shapes. Make a top and a bottom piece.
- Place the bottom on a pre-lined cookie sheet.
- Add some filling into the center, be careful not to over fill them or they will leak out. I usually go for 1-2 TBSP depending on the size.
- Top with the other half of the pie dough and crisp edges together using a fork or your fingers.
- Cut a small slit on the top to help release some air while baking.
- Bake for 10-15 mins or until slightly golden brown
- Let cool and then top with your favorite nut butter and Enjoy!